This list was sent anonymously to At Your Service over the weekend. It was covered in fur and drool, which was particularly odd since it was an email. We’re not sure where it came from, but we thought it was a good list, so we’re sharing it. We may never know its mysterious origins.
Top Ten Gifts for Good* Dogs
10. A soft stuffed toy to destroy. We know you don’t usually like when we do this, but there’s an important reason we shred toys you give us: It’s FUN. So, come on! It’s the holidays. It’s even more FUN if you cheer us on while we shred it. Buy a cheap toy. We won’t care. We can’t read labels. (P.S. We especially like to demolish stuffed hedgehogs.)
8. A walk in a new direction. Change is exciting! New things to sniff and pee on. Surprise us!
7. A massage. Dogs get sore, too. Rub our chest or shoulders in firm, circular strokes, going below fur and skin to massage muscle and bone (like you’d massage a human). We’ll thank you with a moan and sigh. (This also relaxes us when stressed or hyper!)
6. Sing us a song, and put our name in it! We love this! Watch us wiggle, wag, and sparkle when we hear “our song”!
5. Give us an “Accident Forgiveness” card. This should not just be something car insurance companies do. Being a dog is hard! The next time we steal the snack from the coffee table or don’t come when we’re chasing a squirrel, laugh it off and think about how to make it easier for us to succeed next time.
4. Give yourself an “Accident Forgiveness” card. Being a dog owner is hard! The next time you make a mistake, laugh it off. We know you’re doing your best. We forgive you. You should, too.
3. An audiobook. Play it when we’re stressed. (Studies indicate this might relax us.)
2. A rousing game of tug or fetch. We love to play with you. Rowr-rowr-roo!
1. A clicker training session! We love to learn! We especially love shaping. (Learn more about it here.)
*Even though we are sometimes naughty, we’re still good dogs!