Training & behavior consults are a time to get your questions answered and get help choosing what path to take in training your dog. Our consults cover management, training, enrichment, and more.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we now offer behavior and training consultations via video chat (Zoom). Online consultations by Learn more about online training services.
Dog Behavior Consults are perfect for these situations:
- You just adopted a new dog and want to get your relationship off to the best possible start
- Your dog has a behavior problem. You tried taking him to obedience class. You tried a lesson with a trainer. Nothing has worked. You want a clear direction to get improved behavior and turn your dog into the companion you know she or he can be
- Your dog has some annoying habits and you’ve decided you can’t live with them anymore. He knows “sit,” “down,” “come,” etc., when there’s a treat in your hand, but at other times, he is still up to his old tricks. You want to learn how training can actually help your dog learn to behave
A consult is a one-and-a-half to two-and-a-hour-hour meeting with a trainer in your home. The trainer answers your questions and provides you with information on how to set up your dog to succeed in training. Your trainer will also give you helpful tips to make your dog easier to live with right away, and get your dog and household prepared to get the most effective training.
Before the consult, you’ll set up a date and time that are convenient and answer some questions about your dog’s habits, health, and behavior. On the day of the consult, the trainer will come to your home and discuss your dog’s history and the current problems. We’ll talk about why you’re dog is behaving the way she is, what you’re already doing right, and how to address the problem behaviors.
Recommendations may include how to prevent the dog from practicing bad behavior, easy ways to help your dog calm down, and helpful humane gear and “tricks of the trade.” Our recommendations are tailored to your household and your dog, which are unique. We’ll also discuss what training plan and approach would be most effective and how to get started.
When the consult is over, you continue to benefit. Not only will you have new understanding from our discussion, but at the end of the consult, you will also have…
- A folder of handouts to refer to over the next weeks or months as you implement the recommendations
- Written management tips and recommendations for your dog to set the stage for training
- A month of email follow-up for answers to any questions that arise
Amanda contacted us for help training Opie. Opie was barking and lunging whenever he saw dogs or people he didn’t know. See what Amanda says about modifying Opie’s behavior with the help of At Your Service Dog Training.
We offer in-home behavior and training consults in Pioneer Valley towns within 30 minutes of Hadley or Northampton, including Amherst, Deerfield, Easthampton, Florence, Granby, Hadley, Holyoke, Leeds, Leverett, Northampton, South Hadley, Shutesbury, South Deerfield, Sunderland, and Williamsburg, etc. If you don’t see your town listed, use the contact form below to see if we cover your area.
Consults start at just $115 for a pet or puppy consult with our assistant trainer. Basic consults with our head trainer start at $145. More complex cases may cost between $175-217, depending on the number of dogs and the type of behavior problems. Additional mileage charges may apply, depending on location. Book your Training & Behavior Consult now.
Have additional questions? Use the form below.