Want to learn the best way to train your dog? Our Dog Training Owner Lessons are the answer. (Note: This page is about private, in-home lessons. If you’re looking for group classes, visit our group classes page.)
What Are Dog Training Owner Lessons?
A trainer comes to your home and works with you to train your dog. We focus on what you want your dog to learn. During lessons you will…
- Get answers to your questions about dog training, behavior, management, and other issues
- Learn why your dog does what she does and how you can train her to do something you like much better
- See the proper training technique broken down into simple, easy-to-follow steps
- Get a chance to practice training your dog with practical, encouraging instruction that helps you become a great trainer
- Receive a lesson plan for what to work on before the next lesson
- Have an opportunity to contact us with questions between lessons
Benefits of Dog Training Owner Lessons
- Scheduling Flexibility — Your trainer comes to your home at a time that is convenient for you and helps you to train your dog on the behaviors that matter most to you. While most people like to meet weekly, how often we meet is up to you — twice a week, every other week, monthly? You decide how much time you need between lessons to make the most progress with your dog.
- Convenience — We come to you! Instead of heading out to a training facility with a dog who gets car sick or is afraid of new places, slogging through rain or snow, you and your dog stay in the comfort of your own home. Alternatively, if you really want to know how to train your dog to ignore strangers at the mall or focus on you in the grocery store, you can do your lessons there, instead!
- Focused Attention — With At Your Service in-home lessons, you and your dog get skilled training, instruction, and attention for the whole hour. Unlike a group class, where the trainer must divide her attention between several dogs and students, you and your dog will never be at loose ends, waiting and wondering what to do.
- The Behaviors that Matter Most — You only train your dog in the behaviors that matter most to you. You never have to follow a set curriculum. With our Dog Training Lessons, you get to focus on the specific skills and behaviors that will make life with your dog more wonderful for you.
- Perfect for Shy or Exuberant Dogs — If your dog is fearful at a training facility or loses his mind with excitement around other people or dogs, our in-home lessons are a fantastic way to train where you can both learn best. Lessons can help your timid or boisterous dog get to the next level.
- Economical and Practical — For the cost-conscious dog owner, Dog Training Lessons offer a great value. You receive personal, one-on-one training from a professional at a much lower cost than you’d pay for board-and-train or day training, but with all the focused attention and convenience of having a trainer come to your home at a time convenient to you.
Owner Lessons Service Area
For pet dogs, our service area includes these and other nearby towns: Wendell, New Salem, Orange, Athol, Erving, Montague, Turners Falls, Deerfield, Greenfield, Shutesbury, Leverett, Sunderland, Northfield, Petersham, South Deerfield, Warwick, north Amherst, and parts of Pelham, Belchertown, and Hadley.
For service dogs, we travel to all the towns above and also extend our service area farther, including south to the greater Northampton area, north to the Vermont and New Hampshire borders, and further east to the Gardner area. Get in touch if you have a question about our service area for service dogs.
A package of five in-home Dog Training Owner Lessons is $460 ($92 each). For those training their own service dog, we offer a special 10-lesson package for $875 (a savings of $95 off the individual lesson rate). Depending on your training need, we can help you choose a lesson package that will be right for you and your dog.
Please note, for private in-home lessons (including day school, owner lessons, and consultations), we are currently booking for the week of March 4, 2019. Group classes are available sooner (see our list of classes). Get in touch now to schedule, for a referral, and/or to be added to our wait list to be notified of earlier openings. Thank you!