Puppies are a wonderful adventure. They are adorable, furry, funny little creatures — and sometimes new puppy “parents” need answers. We are here to help.
- You have a new puppy, and you’re overwhelmed. What’s the fastest way to house train? How do you get her to stop chewing your shoes? How do you prevent him from jumping on the kids and chasing the cat?
- You want your puppy to grow into your perfect dog. You want to take advantage of your puppy’s impressionable age to create your new best friend for the decade to come.
- You have chosen a puppy but it hasn’t arrived yet. You want to be ready when your puppy arrives. How should you set up sleeping arrangements? How often will the puppy need to go out? Especially recommended for first-time puppy owners or those who want an easier time than with their last puppy.
Christina says her puppy consult for their terrier mix, “Sally,” with At Your Service was “exactly what we needed” to get her family and her puppy on the same page. Read the rest of Christina and Sally’s story.
Puppy Consults may cover some of these topics:
- Socialization — Learn how to make the most of the short period in puppyhood when dogs learn to be comfortable and relaxed around different people, dogs, cars, sights, sounds, and smells.
- Handling — Teach your puppy to relax and happily comply with you, the vet, and the groomer for ear exams, mouth handling, paw handling, tick removals, tooth brushing, toenail trimming, grooming, etc.
- Nipping and Mouthing — How to help your puppy to learn to have a “soft mouth” and be careful of human skin and clothing.
- Chewing — How to teach your puppy to chew his toys and to ignore the couch, chairs, books, and shoes.
- House training — There are tricks and tips to make it much easier to teach your puppy to “do his business” in your preferred location outside. You can even train him to “go” when you ask.
- Crate Training — The best way to train your puppy that his crate is a wonderful, happy, relaxing place to be, making your lives easier and safer.
- And answers to your other puppy questions
A consult is a 90-minute meeting in your home with a trainer who answers your questions and gives you information to help you raise your puppy to be the best dog he can be.
Before the consult, you and the trainer will pick a date and time that are convenient for you. You’ll fill out a short questionnaire on your puppy’s habits, health, and behavior to make sure we cover everything important.
On the day of the consult, a trainer will answer your questions and make recommendations for how to make life easier and better right now for your family and your puppy. She will also tell you what type of training plan would be best for your puppy to become the well-behaved dog you want.
Puppy training service area
Puppy consults are offered in Pioneer Valley towns within 30 minutes of Hadley or Northampton, including Amherst, Deerfield, Easthampton, Florence, Granby, Hadley, Holyoke, Leeds, Leverett, Northampton, South Hadley, Shutesbury, South Deerfield, Sunderland, and Williamsburg, etc. If you don’t see your town listed, use the contact form below to see if we cover your area.
When the consult is over, you continue to benefit. You will receive a Puppy Packet with over a dozen puppy-raising information sheets, as well as written recommendations and follow-up notes to refer to over the next months as you raise your puppy. Plus, follow-up is included! Your trainer is available to answer all of your questions for a month after the consult.
All of this is included in the service dog puppy consult for just $215 with our head trainer or ESA/therapy puppy for $165 with our assistant trainer! (Depending on where you live, there may also be a mileage charge.) Book your Puppy Consult now with the form below.
Have additional questions? Use the form below to get in touch.