We are a full-service dog training service and welcome any questions you have about dog training and behavior! While we have experience with a wide range of training issues, there are some issues for which we have particular expertise or passion. Here are some of our specialty areas:
- Rural dogs — The joys and challenges of living in the country with dogs are different from those of living in urban or suburban settings with dogs. Rural dog owners often are most interested in training their dogs to go for walks off-leash and to come when called outdoors. Other rural dog issues we often see are car reactivity and livestock chasing. We understand the role your dog plays in rural life and are happy to help you turn your dog into a “perfect country gentleman” (or lady).
- “Soft” dogs — “Soft” dogs are the sweet and sensitive souls of the dog world. They frequently fold under pressure, choose fleeing over fighting, and go to pieces if punished — or even if you raise your voice when bickering with your spouse! These dogs require extra care and patience and a slow, positive-reinforcement based step-by-step approach to get the best results. The pay-off of properly training a soft dog is huge: increased confidence and playfulness, a dog eager to offer their best behavior, and a stronger bond between dog and owner, all while preserving that sweet nature you love.
- Service dogs — A member of the service dog community since 1998, our passion is service dog training. We can train skills from foundation behaviors to advanced assistance behaviors, answer questions about the legal, ethical, or practical aspects of service dog partnership, and address almost any service-dog related need. Because of our deep connection to the service dog community, we are also able to consult with other service dog experts on even the most esoteric issue.
- Therapy dogs — Therapy dogs require many of the same skills and training as service dogs. They must be highly social, carefully selected for their job, well socialized as puppies, and rigorously trained in obedience and manners. We have experience training some of the most useful skills for therapy dogs, including chin targeting, settling in busy environments, and close heeling.
- Disabled owners — Whether you want to train a service dog or simply have a great pet, we specialize in adapting training methods, gear, and techniques to serve the needs of disabled owners and handlers. We are experienced with issues such as training from a wheelchair or from bed, training with chronic pain or fatigue, and other challenges. We are flexible and creative in developing training solutions that work for every member of the family, human and canine.
- Pre-Adoption Consulting — Are you thinking about getting a dog, but not sure where to look — breeder or rescue, puppy or adult, furry or sleek? Do you have physical limitations or emotional challenges that you’re wondering how to manage? Thinking of training a service dog or therapy dog and wondering what’s involved? We offer Pre-Adoption Consults in person and by phone. We also offer a follow-up Dog Search Support Package to help you find just the right dog.